UIC Digital Signage

UIC Digital Signage

These were created to advertise for the business resume review and career fair in the next few weeks. I have never created a digital signage so hopefully there won’t be any revision once I deliver these. They took me longer than expected. Unfortunately, there are not shortcuts in the creative process. I took a more typography route, but felt limited since it had to be legible at a distance. Now off to complete an assignment that is due tomorrow and my project research. I am getting nowhere on that thing.

Advertisements

First project done on the job.

First project done on the job.

It was the second day of classes and I was staying up to 3am. Great start to the semester eh? I landed a Graduate Assistantship in the UIC Business department last week. The university is currently undergoing a rebranding process, and the dept. needed some help to carry the branding image to their dept. My first project consisted of four landing pages for the site that showed a connection with four suburban high schools that they are about to recruit. It has been awhile since I have worked solely in Illustrator, which is odd for me to stay in one program anyway.

Meet Benard and Project Research

Meet Benard and Project Research

Today is the day that I sit down and force myself to put on paper all the information that I have in my noggin pertaining to my project research. At the moment, I do feel like my buddy above with a broken arm. Sometimes I wish there was a little red button that you can push and poof it is completed to perfection. So what is my project research you ask? Well to summarize it, I will be studying and comparing different database infrastructures, and compile my information into a framework that will inspire or be applied to other databases. So a lot of geeky stuff. I will be focusing a lot on the Protein Data Bank and a few others. All of which I aim to help improve the visualization of macromolecules by helping to define good vs bad data while addressing accessibility. This ties in a lot of issues like funding and big data. Sometimes I feel like the next step is trying to find the cure for cancer. However, I have to refocus and tell myself baby steps. Wish me luck.

The image above is call “Meet Benard.” He is the product of the character design project in my Zbrush class. What I had in mind was an Orthopedic application that allows the viewers to interact with the little guy by informing him about fractures, bone repair, and post operative care. He is accident prone so the users would have numerous opportunities to learn and teach.

Hello Summer… Well the two weeks of you.

Hello Summer... Well the two weeks of you.

It is a funny thing. A goal of mine during the summer semester was to document my projects as they transformed into finish works. I had well-organized folders and I looked forward to composite them and share with you my progress. However, my end of the semester organizing and cleaning out the computer ended with those valuable progress folders ending up in the trash, which was then emptied two hours ago. Why do I even try? So I apologize as you will have to wait the following two semesters for progress documentation images.

Summer summary…
It was a quick and busy summer semester. I have had summer classes 4 out of the 6 years of my college career. Needless to say summer school and I are not strangers. Over the two months my courses consisted of: clinical science, surgical orientation, Zbrush (my favorite), the ever so lovely project research, and getting my feet wet in animation. I walked away with skills in new programs and the mentality of focusing on detail. All of which contributed to my sleep coma that I fell into after the last critique. It was a demanding summer but definitely worth it.

Above is the GPCR assignment. I took an editorial approach to show Rhodopsin and the chromopore Retinal’s conformational change. I originally want to show the molecule pocket and its association with neighboring residues. However, while experimenting with materials in Max, the deadline came a little quicker than I preferred. The fall semester I will be taking the pharmacology course and I aim to experiment with Autocell and continue to push boundaries in VMD.

A gigabit is not enough. New research takes us to 400Gbps.

Gigaom

This article was updated at 11:46 a.m. PT to correct the bandwidth measurement in the article’s excerpt and to clarify a statement about signal-to-noise ratio.

Researchers at Alcatel-Lucent’s Bell Labs have devised a new way to transmit data super-fast over fiber cables: using “twin waves” of information rather than just one and them bringing them together when they arrive at their destination. The result cut down on signal distortion and led to rates of 400 Gbps across a record distance of 12,800 kilometers, or more than 7,900 miles, according to the research paper, published online Sunday by the journal Nature Photonics.

The pairing of signals in essence cancels out the ups and downs — peaks and troughs, in physics terms — of data. That means the signal-to-noise ratio improves, which lets fiber optic communications travel farther without more gear along the way to boost the signal. That’s a big…

View original post 255 more words

The new blood clot

The new blood clot

Finally sat down to rework my original blood clot. I am feeling like I finally have my feet underneath me. I used Max, Mudbox, and photoshop to create the new and improved clot. Rendering in 3d is not always easy and simple. However, once it is completed there is a sense of accomplishment.

Assignment 2 final

Assignment 2 final

Now with the foundation set, we’re getting into my territory and interests. After enduring a disaster of a project a few weeks ago involving smoker’s lung, this is my ah ha moment when every thing clicked and all the wheels were rolling. For the first time in a long time, I am happy with the final result.